|Baked Wholegrain Tortilla chips with Raw Salsa|
Life is tough. And it throws us some situations.
Situations like guests-at-a-short-notice situation or hungry-kids-need a bite or God – I am craving a snack- right now kind of situation. But whatever the crisis, you would want to avoid store bought options and anything that takes too much time , elbow grease or is unhealthy.
Here’s one such tried and tested, kid – family – guest approved recipe that can be used as a party appetizer or as a family snack. It’s a healthy twist to the processed and packaged , high on salt , low on nutrition , preservative laden Nachos & Salsa.
BAKED WHOLEGRAIN TORTILLA CHIPS
A much healthier option to store bought Nachos.
Preparing Time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
4 Wholegrain Tortillas* ( Corn or Flour based , available at any good grocery store and you can even use leftover Chapattis/Paranthas! Makes me whoop with joy!)
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil ( regular cooking oil can also be used)
Salt to sprinkle ( as per taste)
1. Preheat oven to 300º F or 150º C.
2. Place the Tortillas on a plate and lightly coat both sides each with Olive/ cooking oil using a basting brush or a cooking spray ( you can even rub some oil with a spoon or clean fingers).
3. Cut each Tortilla into 8 triangles. Place each triangle in a single layer on a baking sheet / baking tray/ baking dish and pop in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes or till they are slightly golden brown.
4. Take out the dish and set it out to cool.
Fresh, crisp, golden baked tortilla chips ready to be served! Best served with ‘Raw Salsa’.
Visit http://www.tarladalal.com/Corn-Tortillas-1273r to know more about making Corn Tortillas at home.( Nothing beats cooking from a scratch!)
A No-cook , No – oil, No-preservative , healthy and easy version of the store bought Salsa.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 0 minutes
2 large Tomatoes, diced
1 small Onion, finely chopped
1/2 Capsicum, finely chopped
1/2 cup Coriander , finely chopped
2 flakes Garlic, crushed
1/2 Jalapeno (Bottled & pickled Jalapenos are available at well stocked grocery stores ) / Green chilly, minced (optional)
1/2 lemon , squeezed
1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
1. Mix the above ingredients in a bowl.
2. To allow for the flavors to blend, let sit for an hour ( I let it be for 15 minutes and it tasted as great)
Serve with Baked Wholegrain Tortilla chips / leftover Chappati or Parantha chips.
This salsa can also be served as a dip or an accompaniment with regular chips ( sneak in a bit of nutrition when kids want them potato chips!)
Eat healthy. And it’s easy!