The colors have been bought, Gujiyas & Mathhis being prepared , party-hops scheduled and super-white outfits being planned (thank you, Bollywood). But, have you prepared your skin and hair for the welcome onslaught of color & water that Holi brings?
Dr.Aditi Bhatnagar, founder of natural cosmetics brand ‘SknEssentials’ shares wonderful, kitchen – ingredient based DIYs to ensure the skin & hair is left breathing, fresh & glowing even post-festivities.
“Apart from using natural and organic colors or making your own flower & leaf crush based colors, you should also prep your skin and hair to minimize damage. Further, a natural post –Holi cleansing routine will both moisturize and nourish them.”, advises Dr.Bhatnagar.
Read on for lusciously natural , home-made beauty recipes by Dr.Aditi to help keep the skin healthy & nourished during Holi.
PREPARING THE SKIN & HAIR FOR HOLI
- Moisturize your body liberally with heavy creams like Cocoa Butter or Shea Butter for 2-3 nights pre-Holi so that the skin base is oily, which will later prevent the color from settling on the skin. You can also use heavy oil blends like Mustard or Sesame oil and Almond oil blend (2:1). Add 2-3 drops of Lavender / Rose Essential oil to keep it fragrant.
- On the day, apply a thin layer of any of the above options & ensure application of a liberal dose of Sunscreen (preferably SPF 30 or above). You can also use Skn essentials Intensive Care Moisturizer or Shea Butter cream to safeguard your skin and nourish it simultaneously.
- Address your trouble areas at least a week before the festival. If you have acne and pimples you can use Cinnamon (Dalchini) paste over the pimples to reduce them . Nutmeg (Jaiphal) paste can be applied on acne that’s just starting to show up. If the pimples are already pus filled ,cut a Garlic pod and apply a drop of Garlic juice on the eruption. This should help settle the problem.
- Wash your face with a paste of lukewarm Milk and Bengal Gram-flour (Besan) with a pinch of Turmeric daily .This will heal & moisturize the skin at one go.
- Apply Almond oil daily on the under-eye area, to thoroughly moisturize the delicate skin.
- Use a moisturizer with a good SPF to protect your facial skin .Try washing your face every half an hour when you are playing Holi. Daily Care Cream From Skn Essentials has an SPF of 35, which can be a great sunblock as well as a nourisher for facial skin.
- Oil your hair with Olive oil and regular Vegetable oil available in the kitchen (1:3 ). This will seal the pores of the scalp and keep the shaft of the hair soft and silky, protecting it from the heavy color. Oil daily for 2-3 days before the festival.
- Before playing Holi, make sure to liberally apply oil to the scalp and the hair shaft. This makes color removal easier.
Hands and Feet
- The cuticle and the nails are the worst hit by the colours during the festival. Take some Milk Cream (Malai) & Multigrain bread , mix it to make a kind of paste and use it as a daily cleanser for the hands and feet during bathing. This will soften the cuticle and the nail bed. The oil in the cream will form a protective layer around the nails as well.
- Cut your nails short and apply a coat of dark nail polish avoid color settling on the nails.
- Moisturize the soles of the feet need. In case they have cracks, give them a daily massage with Mustard oil and Petroleum jelly 8-10 nights before the festival. Ensure your hands and feet are well nourished on the day of the festival.
POST HOLI CLEANSING & NOURISHING
It always pays to pre-plan as there will be no time to prepare later on!
- Make a fine paste of Red Lentil (Lal Masoor Dal) , Black Gram (Urad Dal) and Oatmeal ,taken in equal quantities and make a paste of it in milk and keep it ready. If possible also add some Margosa (Neem)leaves to the decoction . After letting the colour wash away in the shower, scrub with this mixture and moisturize well.
- Make a thick paste of Honey and Milk and keep it aside. After shampooing the hair, use this mix to deep condition the hair shaft and cool the scalp as well. Apply this mix and leave it for 7-10 minutes and then wash off with a mild shampoo again.
- Oatmeal powder , Bengal Gram flour (Besan) and a pinch of Turmeric mixed with mashed Banana and some Orange juice makes a very potent cleansing and restoring mask. Apply the mask and leave it for 10 minutes and scrub it lightly while removing it.
- For Oily and Acne –prone skin , Bengal Gram flour (Besan)with a pinch of Pepper and Camphor mixed in Curd water (Yoghurt water) is an excellent face mask. Keep it on for a few minutes and wash off. Always take care not to dry the mask on the face.
Tip – You can make & keep the dry mixtures and store them in the bottles a few days before the festival and prepare the wet mix before you go out to play Holi . After all we all know prevention is better than cure.
Dr.Aditi Bhatnagar SknEssentials Salon is also running a special offer Holi offer – Get 25% off on an All Natural Protein Nourishing Facial & 15% off on Organic Hair Spa for Deep conditioning.
For more detail and booking your slot, please contact
SknEssentials Salon – Club Patio, South City 1. Opp.Palms Apartments
South City I , Gurgaon
Timings : 10 am – 8 pm ( Tuesdays Closed)
Have a super fun Holi & stay Naturally Lush!